The Treasures of Plum Island
When the Coast Guard lifesaving station was built on Plum Island in 1896, such facilities were common on the Great Lakes. Today, this may be the only one left.
Little wonder then that the Friends of Plum and Pilot Islands was established in 2007 to help restore, preserve and manage the islands’ historic and cultural resources. A year later, Plum and Pilot Islands were added to Green Bay National Wildlife Refuge in Wisconsin.
This summer, a five-member Service Maintenance Action Team (MAT) spent nine days stabilizing the lifesaving station. The team removed barrels of lead paint and deteriorated decking and installed vents to prevent mold and moisture on the interior while the refuge and Friends decide if and how to restore the station – and how it would be paid for. See more here