1177 Main Road, Washington Island, Phone 920-847-2121
In 1983 Ken Koyen, the proprietor of the Koyen Collection, built this establishment which housed an assortment of businesses, with various owners including his own. Today, this 5000 sq. ft. single-story business offers dining for breakfast, lunch and dinner as well as in-house catering for weddings, birthdays, anniversaries and other special events.
KK FISKE Restaurant
“Serving Fresh Lawyers” this fish has many names,such as Burbot, Eel Pout, Mud Shark and the Native American name Meset, Islanders call it “Lawyer” because the location of its guilty heart is in its Gluteus Max! This fresh fish is caught by Ken in the waters surrounding Washington Island. The Lawyer is North America’s only freshwater cod with a light tasting white meat.
K.K. stands for Ken Koyen, “Fiske” is the Danish word meaning fish. K.K. Fiske is open year-round serving breakfast, lunch & dinner. Our in house bakery makes all of our featured homemade breads available daily: White, Whole Wheat, Pumpernickel, Marble Rye, Rye, Cinnamon Raisin, Cranberry Orange and Sourdough White and Wheat. You will find all of our Burgers and Sandwiches served on our homemade Brioche Buns! Our bakery makes all of our desserts both in-house and special requests 920-847-2121. The desserts range from homemade Door County Cherry Pies, Cakes, Crisps & Cookies to Breakfast Goodies like Cinnamon Buns to homemade muffins.
Other items the cooks prepare from scratch are soups, chili, dressings, tartar sauce and on Wednesday’s we feature signature sauces like Death’s Door White Whiskey for the ever so popular chicken drums.
Known as the “Home of the Fish Mortician”, the KK Fiske daily catch includes Lawyers (burbot) and whitefish. Lawyers are prepared broiled, boiled or deep fried. Some specials we offer: Lawyer Kabobs, Butter Poached Lawyers and Death’s Door Lawyer Linguini. Whitefish are prepared: Broiled or deep fried, or in our unique boneless fish boil.
In addition to the delicious fish entrees, our menu includes Traditional American Comfort foods.
Visit Wisconsin Foodie to view a video of Ken catching, preparing and serving his daily catch.
The Granary was originally built in 1866 in Zanders, WI. The building was dismantled, moved and rebuilt as a tavern connected to The Koyen Collection in 2000. The Granary offers a rustic atmosphere with a lot of character including a large collection of antiques and island memorabilia donated by family and friends. The walls, floors and tables were all hand crafted using island wood by Ken and his family. We proudly support our partnership with Death’s Door Spirits by featuring their Vodka and Gin as our rail alcohol. The granary also serves food as well as tasty beverages.
The Koyen Collection’s Outdoor bar The Coop is a seasonal bar, that was originally built in the 1800’s by Gunnerson’s on Washington Island. It was disassembled and rebuilt in 2010. During the warmer months, weather permitting The Coop offers cold beverages (smoking permitted) and occasional outdoor entertainment.